Thursday, March 22, 2007

What a croc!


Having been otherwise preoccupied as of late, I've been trying to get reacquainted with some of my old favourites on the web this week (insert joke here). Normally a visit to Kai's blog is a useful way to remind myself of just how technologically imbecilic I've been ever since Turtle became passe but his recent thoughts on the corrupt Croc footwear industry have given me pause for thought (I really must open a book one of these days).

Not to downplay an obvious price-fixing scheme concocted by the shoestores of Cornwall (you've gotta believe it has spread to Devon and Monmouthshire by now) but old Kai's discovery has uncovered a far more serious social problem: there are still people buying bloody Crocs!

I know I shouldn't judge given that I was still wearing acid-wash nut huggers as recently as 1994 (yeah, so what if Wheels was my favourite on Degrassi?) but Crocs have to be one of the most absurd fashion trends since leotards and Chip 'n' Pepper shirts. When Kristina returned to Korea from Calgary last summer, I couldn't believe she was sporting a navy-blue pair of these eyesores and was aghast to learn that they were the hot item of 2006 throughout North America. And, indeed, so too were the Koreans we'd encouter: they were doubtless wondering why this lovely Weyguk was walking around in her bathroom slippers.

On the other hand, a country with men who wear pink might not be in any place to judge.

5 comments:

Kat's Scratch said...

Hi Paul. So are Korean guys still wearing pink? I saw an American guy wearing a pink shirt on a home show last night. He was very emotional and straight.
I really miss Seoul! I am curious if you will miss it too. I may be coming to teach a summer intensive school or just for a visit. My life is completely up in the air right now. Oi vay!
I 'll shoot an e-mail off to you soon.

Unknown said...

Hey since you've been away
you probably missed this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ6qdxN883w


Mike (posting as doug)

Unknown said...

Excuse me, but until the day comes when you are nine months pregnant and your ankles and feet swell to the size of your thighs, you will not be qualified to judge the footwear of others.

Julie (posing as Mike, posing as Doug, and the owner of a stellar pair of turquoise 'dorcs')

Paul Margach said...

Uh, right...thanks for the postings "Doug". I really ought to know better than to discuss such sensitive issues on here. I should've written instead about my plans to open a dog soup restaurant in Calgary next year.

Nathan said...

I don't understand the Crocs thing either. Seeing them on people in the grocery store makes me wonder if it is hygenic...whether they tote babies in their bellies or not. Now, if jelly bracelets ever come back in style...where is Madonna when you need her?

-Doug