Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Small McMercies


Ever since I was four and informed everyone who would listen that I wanted to work at McDonald's when I grew up (which, despite the paper hats my sister and I were rewarded with, was probably tempting fate given the kinds of jobs I've had) I've had a pretty stormy relationship with the chain.

The gradual phasing out of the Shamrock Shake was deplorable enough, as was deep-sixing the yummiest burger they ever came up with, the McDLT. Then they redecorated the cool old school McDonald's on 4th Street (the same place, incidentally, where I expressed my interest in employment; given what their employees look like, I suppose that was a couple years too young) and closed the one at Stadium Shopping Centre which had pictures of the Calgary Stampeders on the walls and lowered seating in the middle of the restaurant. And there was all that corporate greed/legal action/health warning stuff, which was pretty unpleasant. Subsequently, my habit for disgusting, fatty foods was being satiated by Wendy's and Harvey's and, more recently, by my beloved Tubby Dog.

But now, McDonald's here in Korea has moved one step towards redemption by introducing Egg McMuffins! It's difficult to say just how this will fly with a people who routinely eat kimchi, seaweed soup and rice for breakfast but I think it's safe to say the entire English teaching community is basking in this development. Already I've been to my local Macca's (as the Aussies call it) at Bucheon Station three times during my brief 8:20 to 9:00 break to pick up McMuffins for Dave, Jason and me. And my ponch continues to expand.

Now about those Shamrock Shakes...

3 comments:

Kat's Scratch said...

You're kidding! They've got McMuffins now!! I am so jealous, but it's probably a blessing in disguise because I don't want to gain weight. I have McD's once since I got home for some Chicken McNuggets. They've got these new pita snacker things that look good....But I am trying to avoid fast food!

Nathan said...

When I went to the Stadium McDonalds I would always look on the wall with the Stampeder pics, seeing if any would change or new ones would be added. As you most certainly recall there was plenty of unoccupied "frames" in the wall. But Alas, it was never to happen. Like a never-ending tease. That location moved to 16th ave to get a drive-thru.
I like McD's salty fries. Picture this: Ice skating on the rink, since dismantled, a mere 20 steps away from the Stadium McDonalds, ordering fries and hockey cards, and using their free Facilities....what a marvelous way to spend a snowy saturday and sunday. Memories...

Paul Margach said...

"Ice" skating? Oh dear...I tried putting a strike through the superfluous adjective but I don't seem to be able to edit all the comments I'm getting - nor are they allowing me to do so now.

Hope you also liked the posting below about "Ice" Hockey...