Friday, January 12, 2007

Taking on the Periodic Table

- Do you know what constellation that is?

- Orion.

- Wow! How did you know that?

It's always Orion. Barring the occasional school or Cub Scout Cubs field trip as a boy, I can't seem to recall why I've been quizzed on constellations so often. I don't even know what Orion looks like. Not that it matters much: it's always Orion.

So does this mean Tungsten is the Orion of the Periodic Table? If last night's quiz at the Canadian Buddy pub here in Bucheon is anything to go by then it would certainly seem so.

Science 101 was the evening's final topic and I knew I'd have to pull a few tricks out of my ass in order to stay within Fan Death's damn-near commanding lead. Question six asked the following:

"What element is number two on the Periodic Table?"

Thinking it had to be either Air, Water or Dirt (the "elements" I am most familiar with), Kristina and the Americans at the next table informed me that the correct answer was in fact Helium. I then proceeded to inform everyone that the only Periodic Table Fun Fact I carry around with me is that Tungsten is also known as Wolfram. Question seven:

"What is Tungsten's symbol on the Periodic Table?"

(Needless to say that part (b) of my Tungsten Trivial is that its symbol is W)

It's nice that these things can happen and brighten up a bit of a tough week and a mediocre third place finish in the Canadian Buddy Pub Quiz. Question 11:

"Mirach and Alpheratz are stars in what constellation?"

Maybe it isn't always Orion...

1 comment:

Kat's Scratch said...

and don't forget the pythagorean theorem. It is almost always the answer too!