Monday, January 8, 2007

What, no Reckless?

I've just learned that the brilliant 33 1/3 series of music books has put out a call for submissions. Call this one of my crazy schemes but I'm determined to send off a proposal for their Valentine's Day deadline.

For the uninitiated, 33 1/3 are an ever-expanding series of books focusing on albums. They've shown a noble determination to shy away from the all-too-obvious and the frequently-written-about (Let it Be, rather than bloody Abbey Road, for example, or Meat is Murder instead of The Queen is Dead)

But what to pick? They have a one title per group or singer rule which means no Boy with the Arab Strap, Trust or Five Leaves Left. Thus, I am left with All is Dream, Reading, Writing and Arithmetic, 13 and about five or six of XTC's albums to choose from (the betting is on English Settlement). I could also go on a limb and propose a jazz album, something the series still lacks. All hail Money Jungle!

Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated. Feel free to contact me with your own ideas if you too feel compelled to submit, though I'm not sure if they'll accept Fogarty's Cove.

1 comment:

Kat's Scratch said...

I don't really have any suggestions for books. I just wanted to let you know that I am still reading and enjoying your blog. I did book up a John updike book for 50cents yesterday at a thrift store. It's a collection of his short stories. I am reading Goldmund and narcissus again and will finish it this time! One pkus about being home is that I am getting some raeding done. I need to work on my cover letter now. Blah!